Whitley Arrow’s v Sutton Sting – Sunday 9th February.

Whitley U12’s home fixture against Sutton sting presented a great chance for the home team to push into the top 3 in the league.  Some early pressure from Whitley was a good indication of how the game could go.  An amazing piece of skills by Thomas Fraser created a chance for Callum Taylor, his powerful shot hitting the bar.  Successive attacks came to nothing until the 14th minute when a great team play finished with Luke Mitcheson skilfully tipping in a Joe Walls shot past the Sutton keeper.  Whitley’s next three attacks led to successive goals and that really knocked the spirit out of Sutton.  Bobby Campbell got on the score sheet with a first time effort into the net, quickly followed by a typical Joe walls screamer from distance.  This was an imposing display by Whitley in all departments.  The period was finished off by a shot by the ever improving Jack Wilkinson to make it 7 – 0 to Whitley.

The second period started as brightly as the interval music and an energised Whitley started with some good team play that led to several clear chances that came to nothing.  Whitley needed another breakthrough and this came from the opposition with a Sutton defender deflecting a cross into his own net.  Joe Walls ripped open the defence with a signature slalom run finished with a shot that went in off the pipe to make it 9 – 0.  Sutton’s star player, Jacob Frost, made several fantastic plays that brought some good saves out of Daniel Crowe in the home net.  Luke Mitcheson’s pressure on the net was rewarded with another close range effort, reacting quickly from a rebound off the keeper to make it 10 – 0.  Whitley really turned on the style and when they kept the game simple, they really impressed as a unit.  Alex Nergaard was an absolute colossus for Whitley and Sutton received a 2 minute penalty for tripping him, the only way they could deal with his domination at the back.

Nergaard picked up a 2 minute penalty right at the start of the final period, perhaps a little harshly after showing his strength with a shoulder barge in a foot race into the corner.  The penalty kill team did a great job and actually scored a shorthanded goal by Fraser.  Nergaard bagged his much deserved goal with ten minutes to go.   Jack Hennebelle had a long range shot that may have been tipped in by Mitcheson for his hat trick, a changing room debate.  Fraser showed his scoring ability with a long range effort to make it 14 – 0, this really was a dominant display by Whitley against a tiring Sutton. Further goals from Nergaard, Mitcheson and Taylor finished the game off at 17 – 0 to an ever improving Whitley.

Man of the match for Whitley was Thomas Fraser.

Next home game is 2nd March v Coventry                                                             

This article has 1 Comment

  1. Well done also to number 40 Ethan McLaughlin who scored his first goal for the Arrow’s, at this game also. Well done Arrow’s keep it up!!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.